“Yes I voted UKIP, the Tory MP has done nothing for years”
A Clacton-on-Sea Resident (The by-election was caused by the Conservative MP for the constituency, Douglas Carswell, switching to UKIP and then triggering a by-election in which he is running as the UKIP candidate.)
The name Tendring comes from the ancient Tendring Hundred which is named after the small Tendring village at the centre of the area. Sometimes referred to as the “Tendring Peninsula”, the district was formed in 1974 by a merger of the borough of Harwich with Brightlingsea, Clacton and Frinton and Walton urban districts, and Tendring Rural District.
The district is in north east Essex, extends from the River Stour in the north, to the coast and the River Colne in the south, with the coast to the east and Colchester to the west. Towns include Clacton-on-Sea, Frinton-on-Sea, Walton-on-the-Naze, Brightlingsea and Harwich.
Located south of the little village of Great Holland and directly north of Clacton-on-Sea, Holland-on-Sea was known as Little Holland until the early 20th century. It has several beaches and two Sites of Special Scientific Interest, Holland Haven Marshes, part of which is Holland Haven Country Park, and Holland-on-Sea Cliff.
During the Second World War, Holland-on-Sea was fortified against German attack. The Martello tower in nearby Clacton was used during the Second World War and a Second World War pill box still exists in Holland Haven Country Park.
Dovercourt is a small seaside town and former civil parish, now in the parish of Harwich, in the Tendring district, in the county of Essex, England. It is older than its smaller but better-known neighbour, the port of Harwich, and appears in the Domesday Book of 1086.
In 1863 Trinity House erected a pair of cast iron screw-pile lighthouses on the beach, used until 1917 to guide ships around Landguard Point. In 1975 both lighthouses were designated as a scheduled monument, and they were restored in the 1980s. Following a detailed survey they were placed on Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register in 2019. From Wikipedia
Brightlingsea is a small coastal town situated between Colchester and Clacton-on-Sea and on the mouth of the River Colne and Brightlingsea creek. At the end of the Western Promenade Bateman’s Tower is Grade II listed and built in 1883 by John Bateman.